Thursday, December 15, 2011

12/4/2011- further notes.

I need to find the C.S. Lewis quote about putting away childish things when you grow up.
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." 

Appears to be from "On Three Ways for Writing for Children" 1953
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/C._S._Lewis
I don't know quite why I needed to find the quote.

Now for some repetition from earlier: I've written this scene already from a different tack here http://alienplaywright.blogspot.com/2011/04/z-challenge-love.html

FIANCE: You grew up on Man, right?
VOIRREY: ...sure.
FIANCE: Did you know the story of the mongoose?
VOIRREY: Yes, I know it.
FIANCE: Did you know the family?
VOIRREY: No. We lived on the other side of the island. A world apart.
FIANCE: I think that she was nuts. Mental.
Silence
VOIRREY: Maybe she wanted to be left alone
FIANCE: With her ghost?
VOIRREY: Why is that so bad?
FIANCE: Hey, what's wrong? Is it because I called that poor girl disturbed?
VOIRREY: You'd have found out right enough.
FIANCE: What? Found out what?
VOIRREY: That it was me, you daft bastard. I was that mental girl. It happened to me. To my family. All of these things that you've been guffawing over, those were my things. When you pity that girl, you are pitying me. So now you know. This is a weight I rebury. I am the girl with the ghost. The 'superb' ventriloquist creating sound at the drop of a hat. The nutter. The mentaller. The fake. The phony. How can you marry me knowing that I am insane?
FIANCE: I-
Black 
Vanish.

No comments:

Post a Comment